Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Have you seen this, have you heard about this?

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

The Handmade Pledge - what a beautiful thing.

I honestly thing it was sprung forth from the post-Made In China -backlash, but it's a fantastic idea. I will pledge to do whatever I can by hand or purchase handmade. There is positively nothing like a handmade gift. To know that the person not only thought of you, but took the time to gather the materials (or purchase them) and created it for you speaks volumes.

Jack has some handmade clothing now that is, by far, our favorite items. He has a few more coming, too. Every time I put them on him, I know that someone out there loves him or cares about him enough to have taken their day, their fabric, their time to put it together for this little guy. Some of our kids' favorite things over the years have been handmade - QUILTS!, a name puzzle, a painted shelf, a cross stitch, birthday overalls, a name train, ornaments, photos, picture fames - you name it. They know who made it for them and consider it far more precious because of that.

So, this year especially, when money is tight for so many people, consider the gift of something made from the heart. I already have a special project planned for my family this holiday season. Check out sites like www.marthastewart.com and www.familyfun.com and www.craftster.org for ideas for the special people in your life.

No comments:

I spy

Search

Google
 

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed